There are so many different ways to structure an Instagram caption. What works best for you will depend on your product, your personality, and what you want your post to achieve. So whatever your goal — whether it's driving sales, increasing engagement, or building your brand — each of the following examples should help spark your caption-writing creativity.
Follow along for tips on writing awesome Instagram captions as well as a list full of ideas for your Instagram captions, regardless of what your post is about.
First things first, let’s cover the basics.
How do you write a good Instagram caption?
You always want to keep your target audience in mind.
Who are you writing for?
How do you want them to feel when they see your post or read your Instagram caption?
What actions do you want them to take?
Here are a few more tips for creating Instagram captions that resonate.
1. Give your audience more context
A picture might say a thousand words, but your Instagram posts need captions to provide more context. Especially when sharing branded content, you need some copy to fully explain the point you’re trying to convey.
Use your caption to:
- Describe to your audience the image you shared
- Explain why you’re sharing it and why it’s relevant
- Give your audience an action for them to take
- But more importantly, do so in a way that’s concise and to the point. Which brings me to my next point.
2. Make it short and sweet
Instagram captions can fit up to 2,200 characters, but you don't have to use all of them for your caption to be considered a good one. You ideally want to keep your captions clear, short, and simple for easy readability. You also want to keep your audience's attention enough to read it to finish.
The exception to this is if you're making posts that champion storytelling or other lengthy formats. Ultimately, it comes down to what your audience is looking for.
3. Stick to your tone of voice guidelines
Whether your Instagram page is personal or for your business, your captions should be on-brand, or reflective of your brand identity.
This encapsulates the nature of your Instagram's branding and tone of voice. For example, if your page is based on self-love, you should use captions that are friendly in tone, and use inclusive language to make people feel good when they scroll through your Instagram profile.
4. Use hashtags and emojis
Emojis are also a great way to direct readers to take a certain action, such as clicking the link in bio. But if you use emojis, make sure they jibe with your tone of voice and branding. You don’t want to overdo it with a mixed bag of emojis, especially not in the same caption.
Instagram hashtags also are keyway to make your posts searchable, so be sure you leverage them properly. They function like keywords, as they have tracking and searching capabilities.
5. Encourage engagement
While someone may "like” your photo just because it’s a high-quality or well-designed photo, as a brand, you’re hoping for a bit more than that. Maybe a comment, a follow or—best-case scenario—a purchase or signup.
To further engage your audience, use your caption strategically. Ask a question or tease a new product or feature. There are a number of ways you can further drive engagement via your Instagram caption.
One reason why we love Instagram is because its fun and can make us laugh. After all, that’s why memes are sooo popular. Don’t be afraid to poke a little fun at yourself or your brand, or tell a funny tidbit about what went on behind-the-scenes of the making of the image. Plus, puns, sarcasm, plays-on-words, and jokes make great captions as an offset to a more serious photo, or really anytime you just aren’t sure how to caption your post.
- Alexa, turn my feelings off
- Confidence level: Kanye West.
- Creepin’ it real
- Do you ever want to cuddle your boyfriend and then realize you don’t have one?
- Don’t let anyone treat you like tap water, you are Fiji water, okay?
- Don’t trust atoms, they make up everything
- Hey, I still want to be invited but I’m not coming
- Home is where the water doesn’t taste weird
- Humble with a hint of Kanye
- I came, I saw, and forgot what I was doing
- I came, I saw, it got awkward
- I get ignored so much my name should be terms & conditions
- I have big plans for the weekend. Update: I have no plans
- I have the emotional stability of an Ikea table
- I hope you step on a lego
- I just can’t adult right now
- I look better on Instagram
- I love talking to myself, she gets me
- I only dress up for mirror selfies these days
- I prefer my puns intended
- I spend a lot of time holding the refrigerator door open looking for answers
- I stopped fighting my inner demons… We’re on the same side now
- I think I’m allergic to mornings
- I think I’m allergic to mornings
- I wish everything was as easy as getting fat
- I wonder how many miles I’ve scrolled with my thumb
- I’m a social vegan. I avoid meet.
- I’m not lazy, I’m on energy saving mode
- I’m not stubborn my way is just better
- I’m not weird, I’m limited edition
- I’m smiling… That alone should scare you
Simple short Instagram captions
Sometimes less is more. Use something short and simple!
- 50% savage, 50% sweetheart
- A good family is priceless.
- A person who never made a mistake never tried anything.
- Always better together.
- Be a nice human.
- Best Friends Forever !!!
- Don’t die before you’re dead.
- Don’t stop now.
- Escape the ordinary.
- Focus on the good.
- hey know me better than I know myself.
- Hot Chocolate weather.
- I bend, but I don’t break.
- I’m walkin’ on sunshine.
- If it was easy everyone would do it.
- If you can’t be positive then at least be quiet.
- Is all about time, you will do it.
- It’s a beautiful day.
- It’s going to happen because I’m going to make it happen.
- Keep working in silence.
- Life happens, coffee helps.
- Live a good story.
- Living my life in my style.
- My dog is my best friend
- Nobody can’t stop me.
- Not giving up is my only path.
- Salty but sweet.
- Short sassy cute & classy.
- The best is yet to come.
- The champions selfie!
Quote Instagram Captions
If you can’t find the words yourself, there’s a quote out there to help you convey that idea.
Using quotes for your Instagram caption is a great way to evoke and share your emotions. Quotes can propel people to think more open-mindedly, and optimistically — or even motivate them to do something great. Below is a list of some of our favorites:
- "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead
- "Believe you can and you're halfway there." -Theodore Roosevelt
- "Embrace what makes you unique, even if it makes others uncomfortable.” - Janelle Monae
- "Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear." -George Addair
- "I would rather die of passion than of boredom." -Vincent van Gogh
- "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
- "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." -Confucius
- "Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Love the life you live. Live the life you love." -Bob Marley
- "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style." -Maya Angelou
- "The purpose of our lives is to be happy." -Dalai Lama
- "What I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have." - Oprah Winfrey
- "You become what you believe." -Oprah Winfrey
- "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." -Mae West
- "I dream. Sometimes I think that’s the only right thing to do.” -Haruki Murakami
- "If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.” -Lao Tzu
- "If you are working on something that you really care about, you don’t have to be pushed. The vision pulls you.” -Steve Jobs
- "In a gentle way, you can shake the world.” -Gandhi
- "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein
- "Security is mostly a superstition. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller
- "Stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals.” -Michelle Obama
- "Success is a collection of problems solved.” - I.M. Pei
- "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” -Winston Churchill
- "Success isn’t about the end result, it’s about what you learn along the way.” -Vera Wang
- "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” -Nelson Mandela
- "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." -Walt Disney
- "To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” -Thich Nhat Hanh
- "We become what we think about.” -Earl Nightingale
- "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” -C.S. Lewis
- "You change the world by being yourself.” -Yoko Ono
Business Instagram Captions
You can use these captions for clothing business, small business, ecommerce, a new shop opening, etc.
- ‘Shop Small’ instead of making purchases at big box stores.
- A champion is someone who gets up when he can’t
- A year older, a year bolder
- Aspire to inspire
- Be a game-changer, the world is already full of players
- Be a voice, not an echo
- Be sure to come on by for Small Business Saturday.
- Become the hardest working person you know
- Buy locally where possible, but if you can't get the very best locally
- Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life
- come and join a small business Saturday
- Cool Saturday is coming
- Do what you like, like what you do
- Do your daily or holiday shopping at a local or small business to support your community.
- Don’t need your approval, I got mine
- Don’t quit your daydream
- Encourage people and businesses about Small Business Saturday in your community
- Every small purchase makes a big difference!
- Fashion is what you buy, style is what you do with it.
- Follow your own footsteps
- Fuck what others think, do what makes you happy
- Get lost in what you love
- Get out there and live a little great deals on small business Saturday
- Helping Small Business Grow
- Holiday shopping is all about drawing.
- Huge discounts on small business Saturday event
- Hustle beats talent when talent doesn’t hustle
- I don’t have an attitude problem, I just have a personality you can’t handle
- I don’t have dreams I have goals
Instagram is a great platform for your social media marketing strategy. Hopefully, we’ve equipped you with some fun, creative, and engaging captions to make posting on Instagram a breeze! Try these ideas, as well as engaging captions you see in the accounts you follow, to get inspiration for your posts and you’ll make it to influencer status in no time!